Friday, November 11, 2011

Those Good Days

Awhile back I saw an episode of Being Erica, a television show about a girl who travels back in time to try to fix her past regrets. In the episode she is granted a free pass to relive a perfect day. The day is time spent with her two siblings. They don't really do anything particularly worthwhile. Erica recognizes that the day was just a nice day where she could forget her life for long enough to remember the good people that came along with it.

My memory isn't good enough for recalling perfect days. I've had a lot of good ones, I suppose. More good days than bad. The thing about a perfect day is that recognizing one only happens after the fact. Sometimes not even remembered at all.

The things I really look back on with fondness are more moments. Fleeting breaks of relief or casual pauses amongst the calamity. Moments of kindness. Comedy and tragedy. Those times comprise a kind of slideshow in my mind. Different people are often featured. Sometimes I'm alone.

I don't wish for perfect days anymore, but perfect moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment