Monday, November 28, 2011

A Girl and Her Dog



Thanksgiving has come and gone and with it the stiffness in my legs from the 5k I ran that day. The frenzy of shopping passed me over again this year as I did my 2nd annual watching-Twilight-with-family-instead. Since I have a tendency to post about movies on Mondays, I decided to avoid recapping Twilight and instead write about another movie that was also filmed on the Pacific Northwest, this one shot in Oregon.

Wendy and Lucy is about a girl and her dog driving to Alaska to find work when her car breaks down in Oregon. Kelly Reichardt, the director, showcases this little story with such intimacy. The isolation that Wendy feels (played by a brunette Michelle Williams), the comfort that Lucy gives Wendy as she struggles just to survive moment by moment. She literally has no one but this dog to care for her and you can feel those tenuous moments where Wendy has to calm herself against the fear of slipping away.

I fully intend to watch Meek's Cutoff, the second installment of the Michelle Williams/Kelly Reichardt team-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment