Monday, November 21, 2011

Gene


I was at the dentist today waiting for the bi-annual scolding from my dental hygienist which never came. My internal monologue went like this:

Me: Okay, lady. I floss every day with a forward and backward motion like you taught me a year ago and yes, I occasionally forget to gargle with mouthwash, but you see, my mom has terrible teeth. My dad had terrible teeth. I'm pretty sure both maternal and paternal grandparents have or had terrible teeth. This should not be a reflection on my personal habits, but on my ancestors!

Dental Hygienist: So what are your plans for Thanksgiving?

Me: Um...this is a trick, right?

But, no. There was no trick, no scolding. Instead, I was left to ponder on the things my parents and grandparents gave me with their DNA, penchant for cavities aside, I have a lot to be grateful for.

My dad gave me my singing voice. I don't always appreciate it and I definitely don't nurture it in the way he did, but it's still mine. It's still a connection I have with him, even if I can't bring it up at will.

Both sets of grandparents gave me my culture, my heritage. My dad is to thank for my appreciation for it. Being both Asian and Polynesian means traditions and family and pride.

Of my siblings, I am most like my mom so it's difficult to pinpoint just one thing she gave me. I guess I am grateful that I am strong. Not impenetrable, like both of us wish we were, but able to find solutions for most of our challenges and to be of help to others when needed.

Thanksgiving is nearly here and I'm glad I get to spend time with my silly and sweet family.

No comments:

Post a Comment