Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Songs to Sing Along To

I'll admit to being a little hipster when it comes to music selection, but there are two situations where sonic snobbery must yield to a catchy hook and an unabashed sing along (three if you count karaoke, and for some reason I never do).

The first situation involves reminiscence. It doesn't matter the time, place or setting. If I am in a room with at least two very specific people and any song from the Backstreet Boys oeuvre comes on, I am powerless to stop myself. Ditto with "Don't Walk Away Boy" and anything from Janet Jackson circa '97 and earlier.

The second situation involves my car. I love driving alone and singing at the top of my voice. Below are my top 5 favorite songs to sing along to. Each have been heavily tested and proven to increase in effectiveness the higher the volume.

5. Selena Gomez & The Scene "Love You Like a Love Song"



I'm also not going to lie. This was the hair inspiration for my Halloween Witch's Party.

4. Nicki Minaj "Super Bass"



Um, no comment.

3. Sara Bareilles "Gonna Get Over You"



I like the idea of a jauntier tune matched up with tragic lyrics.

2. Adele "Promise This (Cheryl Cole cover)"



The cover and the original are sing along worthy, but the Adele version gets played more often in the car.

1. Patty Griffin "Heavenly Day"



I'm pretty sure I could just put in Patty Griffin on a long road trip and sing through her whole discography, but I picked this because it's the last Patty Griffin song I sang in the car.

Honorable mentions include Broadway showtunes, the music from The Slipper and the Rose and the indomitable Neko Case. And for those that noticed the list included all female singers, I think Gym Class Heroes "Stereo Hearts" is pretty catchy too (it also plays on the radio every time I go to lunch).

No comments:

Post a Comment