Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Shrug and Laugh

A friend of mine sent me links to Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster.

emotionalliteracyeducation.com

gutenberg.org

I was instantly charmed by Jerusha Abbott, an orphan plucked from her duties in an asylum into a fully funded college experience by a mysterious benefactor. The following excerpts are from letters she writes to him, having only seen his retreating back. She refers to him as Daddy Long Legs.

“It's the kind of character that I am going to develop. I am going to pretend that all life is just a game which I must play as skilfully [sic] and fairly as I can. If I lose, I am going to shrug my shoulders and laugh--also if I win.”

“It isn't the big troubles in life that require character. Anybody can rise to a crisis and face a crushing tragedy with courage, but to meet the petty hazards of the day with a laugh--I really think that requires SPIRIT.”

“The feeling often comes over me that I am not at all remarkable; it is fun to plan a career, but in all probability I shan't turn out a bit different from any other ordinary person. I may end by marrying an undertaker and being an inspiration to him in his work.”

“I know lots of girls...who never know that they are happy. They are so accustomed to the feeling that their senses are deadened to it; but as for me--I am perfectly sure every moment of my life that I am happy. And I'm going to keep on being, no matter what unpleasant things turn up. I'm going to regard them (even toothaches) as interesting experiences, and be glad to know what they feel like.”

Wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment