Sunday, November 6, 2011

Introduction

On Friday, Joanna Goddard (Cup of Jo) posted a link to a series of lovely black and white photos of Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. (Snippet and Ink) What struck me about this post was not just the visual images of this Hollywood couple, but referring to true love as "sweet...silly [and] mundane".

Isn't that perfect? Not just for love, but the way a life could be lived. There are so many times when I would yearn for something more. Something epic and exciting to happen to me, only to be disappointed with my good but boring life.

As always my literary choices have revolved around this idea as I just finished Every Man Dies Alone about a German couple that's form of resistance is to drop anonymous postcards with caustic messages against the Nazis. They're not involved with underground operations with code names and spy gadgets. They're just decent people trying to stay that way in surroundings that would punish them for it.

In the beginning of The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas, she describes her father as a quiet man who took things quietly although he felt them deeply. Experience has settled me into a more reserved version of myself. The rages of youth have tempered and I am found looking towards more sources of serenity than strife.

This has brought me to a desire to seek out sweet, silly, mundane things. Those things that will probably not change the world or bring about revolutions, but could change souring moods and at least bring me more assurances of good things yet to discover.

I will try not to assign too many conditions for this blog. We'll see how the week progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment