Thursday, November 10, 2011

Newsworthy


Several years ago my old roommate was watching me watch the news and commented on the fact that my local news paled in comparison to the news from her hometown. I think the program in question commented on a domestic dispute that ended in violence. She said that even straight up murder wouldn't rate where she was from. It had to be multiple murders with a catch like, I don't know, they were dressed as mimes or something.

I did not respond with any sarcastic comebacks about how I had heard that Santa Barbara was a den of drunken thieves. I just kind of shrugged and continued to watch the program that quickly changed to topics of local thaw fests and such. But sometimes I think a lot about what she said. What should be considered newsworthy or even just worth your time?

I've fallen out of the habit of listening to This American Life hosted by Ira Glass and totally missed seeing him this summer at the U.

When This American Life was available on Watch Instantly, I immediately plowed through all of the episodes and was a little disappointed it didn't continue in the television format. The program lives online and on the radio. I have resolved to be a more diligent listener.

Ira Glass is able to tell stories with a distinct tone that catches you unawares and pulls you in. His stories focus on real Americans, rich, poor, rural and urban. He offers multiple perspectives to the story until you get a real sense of the oddity and uniqueness of who we are and what we can be as human beings.

Also, it is worth noting that Ira Glass is something akin to a male Zooey Deschanel. Not only can he do no wrong in the eyes of any truly nerdy girl, but he pulls it off with a flair of attractiveness. And I like his choice of eyewear.

No comments:

Post a Comment