Thursday, January 19, 2012

Je t'aime


As I've said on previous occasions, I wouldn't call myself a social person, but there are times, like tonight, where the benefits of social situations outweigh the drawbacks. These past few weeks I've thought a lot about love. The good kind, the simple kind, and the darker side, the kind that can bring about so much pain one almost forgets why it was all worth it. Tonight I got to have stirring conversations with women I've come to truly adore. Being social usually drains me, but sometimes it's invigorating and I wish I wasn't always so reticent to go out more.

As I've grown older, I find it more difficult to look to couples around me as examples of true love. I'm not sure if youth played a part in this perception or my limited circle. I wonder if my own public interactions with my husband convey how much I care for him. I wish I could say that it always does, but I'm not sure. My sarcasm can come off mean.

I'm reading My Life in France, Julia Child's memoir. Her companionship with her husband is so refreshing, so supportive. Besides giving me serious Gallic envy, I love that Paul Child is not only her husband but her great friend. How exciting to share adventures with your best friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment