Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Beyond Splendor


When I was around ten or eleven years old, my favorite movie was Splendor in the Grass. This will tell you a little bit about what a weird kid I was growing up, and though I've moved on to other favorites, I still think a lot about this movie.

Deanie Loomis (played by Natalie Wood) is a good high school girl that knows exactly how her life is supposed to go. But waiting for the eventual happy ending proves challenging and she slowly finds herself bereft of all those nice pictures she had in her head. The movie is set around the end of the Roaring 20's and the start of the Great Depression.

My favorite part is the ending where Deanie realizes that even though nothing turned out the way she thought it would, the disappointment doesn't have to last. The changes may even bring about something better. And if not better, then perhaps the different version turns you better.

No comments:

Post a Comment