Monday, December 12, 2011

Waitress


Somewhere along the way, I have found the necessity for courage diminish and with the absence of opportunities my ability to produce bravery at a moment has also declined. Now, when once my confidence was so strong, I need to store it in parcels until I can bring it out for public consumption. I will rely on this storage when singing at the annual company Christmas party this week. I will also wonder why I let my boss convince me to sign up for these things every year.

Jenna Hunterson is a sweet waitress with a talent for making pies. She also leads the kind of quiet life that doesn't always ask for courage. But Jenna is unhappy and soon she finds out the source of her unhappiness, her husband, has contributed to her getting knocked up. All she wants to do is save enough money in tips and a pie contest to get out of her unhappy life.

In the movie, she writes letters to her unborn baby, letting this child know her flaws, her fears, her sorrows. When the baby finally comes, all the uncertainty seems to melt away and everything becomes clear. I know that clarity isn't always enough to make the decision to change things for the better, but it helps.

In my own small way, the busyness of my life seems to be petering out with each task I check off. At some point, I hope for true serenity with a completely satisfied list. But until then, there's always pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment