Friday, December 9, 2011

Literary Pursuits

Next week, my book club has its annual potluck where we go around recommending new books for the following year. Last year, I recommended four books. The book that was selected out of the four was The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terri Pratchett. One person besides myself actually liked the book when it came time for everyone to read.

I realized early on that the enjoyment of book club would sometimes consist of me disagreeing with everyone. Every month its a new round of excitement. There is something to be said about the pleasure that comes with being in absolute disagreement with someone, maybe a few someones, and still foster open communication and even lightheartedness.

This is a loud group, but so fun!

I'm changing it up this year and recommending books on my to-read list than old favorites. I think. I haven't quite pinned anything down. Either way, I know I will be taking on the following titles in some form in the new year.

Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything
by Joshua Foer
The Angel Esmeralda & Nine Stories by Don DeLillo
The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obrent

For those curious, yes, I poached all of these titles from Michiko Kakutani's Picks for 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment