Friday, February 3, 2012

You win, V-Day


I've been sucked in by Valentine's Day, I think. I'm still not expecting presents or a big to do on the actual day, but every time I try to come up with a topic for this blog, I can only think of love stories. Next week, I will try to showcase a love story each day. I will start with my second favorite passage from Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney.
"It's like when you were born. It sounds crazy, but that's exactly what it's like."

"It hurt that much?"

"Terrible," she said. "You just didn't want to come out. I didn't think I'd live through it."

She sucked breath through her teeth and gripped your hand fiercely.

"So now you know why I love you so much."

You were not sure you understood, but her voice was so faint and dreamy that you didn't want to interrupt. You held her hand and watched her eyelids flicker, hoping she was dreaming. Birds were calling on all sides. You didn't think you had ever heard so many birds.

I don't want to comment too much and lose some of the magic of the scene, but I like the dynamic between mother and son. They don't have to completely understand each other. Sometimes the presence, the touch of a familiar hand, make up for the silences.

No comments:

Post a Comment