Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Well Done, Sister Suffragette


Shannon Hale's recent posts had me thinking a lot about the lack of female roles in animation. Setting aside quality considerations, she listed a 13:4 ratio of male to female appearances. This stinks.

This line of thinking also had me wondering what kind of portrayal I'd like to see if women actually did show up. There are several examples from television that I can draw from. I recently watched an amazing interview with Amy Poehler and Jane Lynch called Live Talks (via Vulture). These are hilarious, smart and capable women. What I find so great is when they address the 'what makes women funny' question with ambivalence noting that the comediennes before them paved the way.

I wonder if people are concerned that by consciously choosing to give women more of a voice, a hopefully realistic, non damsel-in-distress voice, that it will take something away from the authenticity of the story. I don't think that's the case. I don't even think that a story where the girl has to prove herself to the boys is necessary. Women can be warriors, nurturers, boring whatevers and not be about The Special Message.

I love that Jane and Amy talk about the real moments that can be found in Parks and Rec. How it can be every bit as grounded as it is humorous.

I guess what I'm saying is
Vote Leslie Knope
.

No comments:

Post a Comment