Thursday, September 13, 2012

Growing Pains

Birthdays have never been especially great for me. I remember one sucky 10th birthday decked out in a garish but beloved pink dress with blue flowers and jacket to match only to have it rain so hard they cancelled recess! Then there was last year's birthday where I was so sick I went to bed around eight and had to be reassured I wasn't dying. I won't even get into what I'll call the "roller skate incident" of 1996. Did I also mention that when I turned sixteen, my mom actually forgot my birthday? The whole time I refused to let her know in case Jake Ryan showed up with a birthday cake.


Um, yeah. No Jake Ryan, but I did score a new pair of shoes, expensive and fueled by guilt. I guess with this impressive history of awful birthdays, yesterday was pretty great. I went to the state fair with the husband and my sisters. Ate fried oreos and roasted corn on the cob and convinced said party not to ride the sketchy looking ferris wheel. My fridge contains more birthday sweets than actual food and I got to re-watch the Doctor Who Christmas Carol tonight from one of my birthday winnings. Curious to see what next year will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment