Monday, May 7, 2012

Marvel

I adored watching Avengers and the first episode of Sherlock. I could have cheated and watched the series in New Zealand, but infrequent wifi kept me honest. 

As I was on my girl power high (after coming on board the Black Widow/Irene Adler love train), I read an article from Entertainment Weekly asking if the premiere of Sherlock wasn't a bit sexist. Suddenly I wondered if my feminist spidey senses carried one fatal flaw. Let's call it, the Whedon syndrome. 

Geeking out to the marvelous prowess, the enumerable cleverness of Stephen Moffat and Joss Whedon himself could occasionally cloud gender biases, but then I don't think so. It's kind of like my views on colorblindness. A person's gender and race DOES make them different, but the differences add to our character not detract. 

What makes Black Widow and Irene Adler interesting to me is that they are clever. They're resourceful. They actively participate in the game without losing who they are as women. Moffat and Whedon portray both with such great skill. I'm excited to see more from both. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment