Thursday, January 10, 2013

You Feel Me?

Okay, internets. There's been a bunch of monologue-ing going on. T. Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble" music video. JT getting back into the game. Maybe. Two More Days and Counting!

If feels like I should be complaining about all of the celebrity introspection, especially when I want to just hear a song already, but I'm finding it doesn't really bother me as much as I thought it would. Am I maturing? 20-13! 20-13!

Possibly. I had a conversation with my sister about movies that lean toward silences over dialogue versus those that are dialogue-heavy. Versus is the wrong word. My second favorite movie of all time, Before Sunset is all dialogue. The small mannerisms, the European setting, the fluid camera work all accentuate the words between Jesse and Celine. Two people connect through conversation and it is wonderful.

Drive is about silences and mystery. The driver doesn't have a name or a background. He connects with a young mother in his building but their conversations are sparse. He sees a future less bleak, less lonely. But when the mother's husband returns home from prison, that future goes away. Ryan Gosling kicked serious trash in that movie.

I admire both films for what they do, maybe giving Drive the slight edge (though not as beloved). I love words so much. I love the power they possess, but I have found there is power in silence. There are things that can be conveyed just as well, if not better in a small smile, a haggard breath, a lowering of one's gaze. I am trying to make my stories less florid, more affecting. I hope to be successful this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment