Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Follow Up Thought

No, my neighbor is not Marion Cotillard

When I listed all the attributes I most admired (linguist, great cook, active life) in my last post, the familiarity made me think this described someone I actually know. Until I realized, this IS someone I actually know. This person exists! (sort of, I think she only speaks four languages) 


This person is my neighbor. She is wonderful. She is intelligent and kind and thoughtful. I had only known her a couple of months when she got home from Germany last year and she totally brought me German chocolates for my birthday. She never makes me feel worthless in my comparatively smaller list of accomplishments and she will impart her own stories of struggle that never come off like complaining.


The catch of course is that not only will she never admit to setting the standard for personal perfection, but I realize it's different from an onlooker's point of view. Finding my way and accomplishing things that I most want often feels illusive. But I know it doesn't have to be. I'm sure I'll probably never attain Gwyneth Paltrow level, but I can be happy. I can be excited about my life. I can set aside regrets that come from sacrificing one thing for another. I can have enough.


Source: swstark.tumblr.com via SW on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment