Sunday, July 27, 2014

24


In Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close terms the 24th of July is my “worst day”. Another one passed and I tried a different approach this year, namely indulging in Pie and Beer Day. My sweet husband left work early and made me a delicious pear gruyere pie as inspired by Pushing Daisies.

I also went to see Begin Again which I wished I would have liked more. The critique of the music industry was a little too preachy for me and it was hard not to wonder if John Carney was a little resentful over his Once success. Plus, Keira Knightley is a wonderful actress, but I wasn't entirely sold on her singing voice. Maybe the songs needn't have pushed me into making unfair Marketa Irglova comparisons?

The one bright spot of the movie was when, in a drunken pity party of two (with the amazing James Corden), Keira Knightley's character, Gretta writes a sad love song and leaves it on her ex's voicemail. In the last line, her voice catches and her pain is so clear. The sincerity and earnestness I was hoping to see throughout the movie is there in that one moment. The song is called "Like a Fool" and I encourage you to skip the movie and watch the clip on YouTube. Hmm, maybe that's too harsh? Maybe, wait until the movie's on Netflix? 

No comments:

Post a Comment