Sunday, May 11, 2014

Stone

I am girl crushing hard on Emma Stone. Between her thoughts on skinny shaming, the Stuff Mom Never Told You Podcast and Amy Poehler's thoughts on body image, I've had my appearance very much on my mind lately. I also cut my hair yesterday. I'm so happy with it, but the change is forcing me to look in the mirror more often than I usually do.

I am confronted with a lot of...lack. There are things I can change about this dissatisfaction like a brand new haircut (seriously, my hair smells awesome), and others more that I can never hope to change. Not without drastic measures anyway. Amy Poehler's advice was to focus on a physical feature that was not  terrible, maybe even pretty great. After running through some false starts, I settled on one. I like the shape of my lips. They are full and curve nicely. Arriving at this conclusion took longer than it probably should have. I don't know. It feels a little silly to talk about especially since I consider myself the bookish nerd with the "nice personality". I do think there's value to feeling good in your skin.

Is it weird that I just keep coming back to the movie Little Women where Marmee gives advice to Meg?


No comments:

Post a Comment